I’m in the midst of two weeks of winter break (so nice!) - here’s what I’m up to currently:
Listening to palatable holiday music such as:
- Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas album - my all-time favorite holiday album.
- Sharon Jones (RIP!) and the Dap-Kings' Tiny Desk Concert from 2015
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band Tiny Desk Concert from 2013 - last year at this time I was in New Orleans!
- New Standards' Holiday Show from 2014 - I finally went to see it for the first time this year and it was so fun! I love Aby Wolf doing a reharmonized version of Silent Night (about 31:45).
- I Wish It Was Christmas Today from SNL in 2000 - still funny in 2016.
Watching holiday movies like Elf and Home Alone.
Reading The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I really enjoyed Americanah, and want to work my way through all of her books.
Enjoying the sun, which thankfully shining more than it was earlier in December.
Taking time to reflect on 2016 and what I want from 2017 (thoughts in another post soon).
Trying to avoid falling down Internet rabbit holes and to stay more intentional.
Marveling at the fact that the temperature is 60 degrees warmer than it was on Saturday night! (Minnesota + Mother Nature, you’re crazy.)
Lighting candles every day - keeping it cozy.
Writing arrangements of Brazilian songs for a performance on February 3. It’s coming up fast, and this type of work doesn’t make me feel stressed, so I can do it during a break.
Seeing friends and family while I have lots of free time.
Celebrating that Tom is on break from grad school for a whole month!
Organizing and purging things from our space - I love a good fit of minimalism.
Looking forward to gathering with family for Christmas this weekend.
Hoping you all have restful holidays and a chance to slow down and reflect - we all need and deserve it.
I'll be taking next week off from regular posting, but look for more after the new year!